Monday, August 26, 2013

WEMS Levis 100 mile race, 2013

Did a Wisconsin Endurance Mtn. Bike Series (WEMS) race at Levis Mounds, WI. 100 mile (long) event. All singletrack, no age groups, just line up and go. Yeah, I guess I was the old man of the bunch...again.

One of the IMBA Epic trails. Climbed 18,000 feet in 10:40. Not a lot by some standards, but the uphills are a pretty steep and can be a bit technical. 10 hrs. on the bike and 40 minutes total in the pits eating, getting more water and figuring out how to stop or at least lessen the cramps.
A tough but rewarding day of racing. High temps and humidity. Fluid loss was high, as was the dry dirt and sand. Quite technical course where a mistake could get a guy/gal a bit messed up.
Nothing but praise for the TREK SuperFly..again. No issues. Towards the end of the first lap I caught a couple racers in the fast, flowy section that had a decent lead on me through the climbing...the Fly just takes every turn maxed out and even if I'd start to wash out I'd just hang on and it pulls me through.

I didn't get 100 miles in before the 12 hr. cut-off, one lap short. So ended up with 88 miles. (83 by my GPS, but I'll go with the official count!) The winner did get 100 miles in. I ended up 2nd. I'll take it, I sure didn't feel cheated. A local write-up.



Race Director getting ready to sound the shotgun start.

Your Truly at the finish. Spent....just trying not to cry like a little girl.

Photo credit to riding buddy Al Potter.

Looking up towards the finish/clock area. My pit on the left.

Another angle.

Other pit areas. Some guys just backed up to the fence and pitted out of their trunks/hatches.


My pit and bikes, Gary Fisher Paragon HT and the Trek/Fisher SuperFly. Camped there the night before to get ready for the 8AM start.

End of the race.
Garmin data.

From a ride a couple of years ago. Views from out on the trail.

No comments: