Sunday, February 24, 2013

Birkie

Wow, it never slows down this winter. Who scheduled this? My wife must be after the life insurance!

Skied the American Birkbeiner (Birkie) for my 9th time. I think it was my best Birkie to date. Maybe not for time, but based on conditions it was my best effort.

Pre-race: Try to ignore the gal in the background!!!

3-5" of fresh snow caused a lot of issues for most skiers, but due to my heavy ski activity, the Tuscobia 150 and Arrowhead 135 plus a few fat-bike rides (Actif Epica, for one) tossed in helped to make my conditioning the best it's been for awhile...at least since 4-5 years ago. Results.

Had a good time skiing and the "villain" didn't start messing with me till the 30km mark (it's a 50 km race). Up to that point we were having a great time of it.....then he got a bit pissy but by then it was waaay too late. For more info on the race.
Re-enactment:

31 miles may not seem long to some, but it's basically a sprint....and the amount of hills are legendary, over 4,000 feet of total climbing and it's pretty much continuous. Recovery time is at a minimum....and your downhill skills better be up to par, as well.
You don't fake the birkie. If it wasn't challenging, I doubt there would be the global appeal.

http://birkieguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/birkieelev1.png





                                                                                                                                                                            














































No comments: