Saturday, January 9, 2010

Old Time Winter Camping

A buddy of mine and myself back in 1970. We were 14-15 years old in Boy Scouts. His mother had these old photos and I scanned them. I believe that's her carrying in some high tech sleeping bags from back then.

Mark (on the left) and I cooking, by the book, it appears. Not much of a cooking fire, by the looks of things.
Got our "tunes" hanging from the tree. Not sure what might have been wrapped up in the newspaper....fish? Or maybe we were using it to try to get the fire going better or I'm kneeling on it to stay dry. Think dry wood might have helped?
The morning after. Mark and I went out to the campsite area the night before the rest of the troop arrived. We wanted to sleep out an extra night, I guess. Mark's mom said that sometime in the middle of the night she woke up to learn the the temp was at -20. She make Mark's dad come out early in the AM to see if we were still alive.
He found us in a partial snow cave, filled with hay, both naked to our underwear sleeping in the same sleeping bag, snug as 2 bugs in a rug.....we've been close ever since!
I think that's our tent behind us.
Thank You to Lester Landes, our Scout Leader, for all the time he invested in us and others in the Ogema, WI area.


No comments: