Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cactus blossoms, sure sign of spring?

I "rescued" this cactus from MT 6-7 years ago when out there mtn biking. I wanted to bring something back to remember the trip, but the usual trinkets just don't cut it. There was some road work being done and many cacti had been bulldozed out of the ground to widen the road. I scooped up a few plants and brought them home.
I almost killed it when I noticed that there were small fruit fly kinda things nesting in it a year or so after I got it home, so I sprayed it with an bug killer material and it just about killed the plants.
Since then, I only use some plant food now and then and it came back strong....no insects, either.
Every spring now it pushes through new growth. I'm waiting for it to blossom like what I've seen in the wild out west. Pretty sure it's a Prickly Pear cactus.



Taken last summer in WY.






No comments: