Monday, June 25, 2012

Cheq 100 2012

Had a blast at the Cheq 100. I did the metric 100 (62 miles) after doing or attempting to do the 100 miles in the inaugural year and last year.
62 was plenty, pace is everything.
The day started out nice and sunny but we got a fair amount of rain on an already somewhat saturated trail so it did get a little muddy, but mostly on the firetrail roads. The single track help up very good. The folks at CAMBA made some damn nice trails up there!

After starting at a pretty good pace for me, my seat came apart some when a screw came out around half way through, mile 30-35 or so, so I had bit of a struggle sitting and pedaling. Then, from the mud I developed some chain-suck that eventually casued my chain to break cranking up a steep section.
That all conspired so add to my time. I, like everyone I think, was pretty well cooked after the race which was spent at Three Rivers Eatery in Cable, WI. Great people that treated all of the participants fantastic.
Winners were Drew Wilson in the 62 mile and Mark LaLonde, in the 100. Both great guys that I've been able to get to know through the mtn biking community.

Friday heading up to the race on BOB (bike on bike) 
 The CORP crew, Madison, WI.
 Erik, MN.
 Bob, MN.
 100 mile start line.
 Charly Tri, Last years winner. Listening to the race instructions, or getting raptured.....sun rising behind him.
 Tim and Joe, last minute instructions.
 Ryan, MN.
 Mark, 100 miles winner.
 Erik, again!

 Giving the chain/gears a bath in a pond off the trail to get some mud and sand off to ease chain suck.
 Kev, Nate and Jin, Madison crew after the race.
 yours truly, my frankenbike rider inpression
 Mark washing off his bike
 damaged seat
 BOB doubling as a clothsline.


No comments: